Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Month of Me with a Segue

Day 11 → Something people seem to compliment you the most on.
Day 12 → Something you never get compliments on.


I am hitting these up combination style because somehow the days just keep flying by and I laugh a little at the idea that I could even try to blog daily.

So, 11 :: People seem to like my smile. And my kids.

I get multiple compliments on both. Which is really nice. The kids more than the smile.

Which lets me segue into talking about my kids. Actually not about them but other people liking them.

The Duo
The Duo

This has turned into a very tough year financially and the things we took for granted have slowly fallen off as we tightened the proverbial belt. There is enough for mortgage and food, etc. There is just very little else. This hurts a lot less since we have been practicing at buying less and using less for some time but it still can hurt.

Some things are just not in the budget this year. This includes things like school tuition. Tim and I were very disappointed in this but 'school' for three year olds falls more into 'want' vs 'need' at this time.

The really disappointing part was that their teacher broke away from the small preschool the boys attended last year to form her own even smaller school with a focus on learning her style (which is an awesome style, believe me). She and her teaching partner are a wonderful and dynamic duo and it was exciting to hear them form the idea for their own school but we realized that we would likely not be able to be a part of their inaugural class.

Well, in September when classes started they approached us and asked us if we would please please put the boys in, that they could waive tuition for us but they did not want to lose the boys. They were so eager to have them participate in the program and I was totally humbled and thankful for their generosity. We formed our own agreement as to how to approach the next few months and in they went.

The one hard thing to do was not give somehow so I asked them to let us know if there was anything we could do trade wise. This month they approached me with the request for sewn capes that the kids can incorporate into their letter play.
Super Mace

And so that is what I have been working on instead of daily blogging. And I have to say, it is both rewarding and fun to know these will be a part of their school for a long time to come. I've always wished to live a little outside our monetary system but it feels cool and surreal to actually be doing it.
Capes :: sewing
Capes :: sewing

So, yeah, people may like my smile but I am really really happy they compliment me on my kids in this way. It makes me feel like I am doing something right.
Action
Action

12 :: As for something people never compliment me on ... I think that would have to be my ability to swallow what some may call pride (but I tend to think of as ego) to allow these things to happen, to allow our lives to not be dictated by what we lack, but shaped by that which we have, and those who are willing to participate in it.

I know they say it takes a village to raise a child, but I also like to think it takes a village to help us as adults find ways to function when things get tough.

And if I get the chance, I will post up a quick tutorial on the making of the capes. It was fun and easy and involved a lot less sewing/seaming than one would expect.

6 comments:

Claroux said...

please please please post a tute for the capes! I LOVE them! The girls are having a princess b-day party this year and I asked what they boys in attendance should wear and they said capes! I was looking online for free tutes but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I was going to try to blaze my own trail and make something up (you know, in all my spare time - LOL). SO....to read your blog and see that you are neck deep in capes is SO exciting! Please share!

And that is so awesome about the kids and school and the lack of monetary exchange. How rewarding and special!

Janna said...

WOW! this post made me cry! What a sweet, beautiful, wonderful thing. I am so happy for your family that your boys get to go to the preschool and for the teachers/other kids to have you there - awesome all around! :)

As always - fantastic pics!

Kat McNally said...

And that's what I wanted to compliment you on: your generosity of spirit. You're the kind of gal who offers to drive all the way to LAX for an in-transit hug! And you know, it made me so happy even though I had to hop straight from one plane to another at 1am. Because although that hug was something I REALLY would have loved (and could have done with), I couldn't have asked you to trek all the way out to the airport in the wee hours for such a short time. But it made my heart swell to know I had such a kind and thoughtful soul willing to face such an inconvenience just to help me through the long journey.
You're a beautiful person (inside and out) and I feel privileged to know you.
Kat x
PS Saving up that hug for when we meet up at Blogher next year. I am determined to be there. x

Beth said...

That was a beautiful post. There is always so much more love involved when money isn't present, when we do the things that our hearts tell us to do, when we help and connect to one another in ways that our special and unique to us. You clearly have many talents, many things that we could compliment you on. Thank you for sharing them.

Dana said...

Another compliment -- your eyes are beautiful. They sparkle with the beautiful spirit you have within.
Congratulations on raising little people that big people want to be around. It's harder said than done.

jillian said...

Wowee - love how the school situation evolved and resolved.